This post is sponsored by the Celebrate Hispanic Heritage promotion at Publix. The opinions and text are mine.
Plantain Cups, called Tostones Rellenos de Pollo, are delicious little cups filled with shredded chicken and cheese topped with spicy mayo and cilantro. It’s easy to prepare and is a delicious and fun appetizer to serve.
Americans have celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month across the nation with parades, festivals, concerts, art shows, and workshops — all designed to share our heritage while promoting unity between all people regardless of race or background.
In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, I’m partnering with Publix to share my favorite Latin dish- Tostones Rellenos de Pollo. These tasty little bites are filled with shredded chicken, cheese, spicy mayo, and cilantro. Served with various dips, it’s a tasty and fun appetizer.
I shop at Publix quite often because of their fantastic deals, and right now, Publix is running its Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Extra Savings promotion starting September 10th – September 23rd. The deals are unbeatable!
TOSTONES RELLENOS DE POLLO INGREDIENTS
- Oil of choice for frying
- Green plantains
- Cooked shredded chicken – I slow-cooked mine with Knorr Chicken Bouillon Zero Salt.
- Shredded Cheese
- Hellmann’s Spicy Mayonnaise
- Sir Kensington’s Special Sauce
HOW TO MAKE TOSTONES RELLENOS DE POLLO
- Peel the plantains and slice lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces.
- Next, in a large bowl, toss the plantains with one tablespoon oil and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Add your oil to a pan over medium heat until shimmering hot, then add plantain slices in a single layer; cook until golden brown on each side (about 5-6 minutes per side), flipping only once!
- Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Once cooled, use a cupcake or muffin pan to shape your tostones.
- Last but not least, fill the cups with your favorite filling. This recipe features my slow cooker shredded chicken.
If you love tostones and chicken, this is a fun way to incorporate the two. Sometimes, I get fun with my cups and add beans, jalapenos, and extra Sir Kensington’s Special Sauce!
So, there you have it, a quick and easy way to make tostones Rellenos de Pollo. I hope you enjoy them! Keep an eye out for more excellent recipes coming soon! Also, don’t forget the many ways to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month!
With this flavorful dish, you’ll definitely want to finish with something sweet! Since I was little, my family and I have always enjoyed Breyers Ice Cream for dessert. This dish, along with Breyers ice cream, brings back so many fond memories!
Hispanic Heritage Month begins on September 15th and ends on October 15th. I’ve always loved celebrating this special month to embrace my heritage, and the best part is that you don’t need anything special to get involved with this celebration this month.
You can find an event or go to a local Latin restaurant and have fun. I also encourage you to learn more about your heritage by visiting museums, participating in cultural events, eating traditional foods, and listening to music.
You can visit Publix.com or head to your local Publix to grab the in-store Extra Savings flyer to see a complete list of products included in the promotion. If you don’t see it in the kiosk at the front entrance, you can ask customer service for a flyer! Look for the at-shelf signs located throughout the store which highlight the savings during the promotion.
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Extra Savings Promo (CURRENT DEALS)
- Sir Kensington’s Special Sauce or Chipotle Mayonnaise 12-oz – $4.00
- Knorr Chicken Bouillon Zero Salt 2.6-oz – $3.49
- Hellmann’s Mayonnaise 24–30-oz $3.99
- $1.50 OFF Any 1 Breyers Ice Cream 1.5-qt
This promotion ends on September 23rd.