Last year, when my little guy Leo turned two years old, I knew that would be a year filled with a lot of changes. One of the major changes would be saying goodbye to diapers and begin potty training. I have heard that potty training can either be a breeze or super challenging, it all depends on how your child adapts to change.
There were a few stages with Leo when it came to potty training. The problem was, I started potty training too early, I didn’t talk to him much about potty training to help him understand, or he just wasn’t interested at all. As time went out and after plenty of research, I found that all of this was completely normal however, I needed to find ways for him to be interested in the potty. I decided to take matters into my own hand and I was ready to tackle this potty training challenge.
Leo doesn’t really like it when you refer to him as a baby. He would rather be called a “big boy” so I told him I would be getting him “big boy stuff” to do “big boy things” like using the potty. I ordered a potty seat for him to use and I ordered a few necessities from Walmart’s Online Grocery pick up to get him excited for potty training. Using Walmart’s Online Grocery pick-up is the best thing ever. I love that you can order non-food items and have them brought straight to the car. It is so convenient.
I picked out my favorite bathroom products that would great on my little one. After all, potty training can be a bit messy so using products that make cleaning up easy will make potty training less stressful for both mom and child. I picked up the Cottonelle® Ultra CleanCare® Toilet Paper. Since potty training is a whole new ball game for little ones, we also have to emphasize the importance of being clean. The Cottonelle® Ultra CleanCare® Toilet is a strong yet soft toilet tissue that will give you a Superior clean, which is super important to me. If you are worried about sensitivity, Cottonelle® has you covered with this toilet tissue.
We had to ditch the baby wipes and move on to “big boy” products so I also picked up the Cottonelle® FreshCare Flushable Wipes. These wipes are the number one flushable wipe brand compared to other brands, I mean they are 100% flushable! The last thing we need to worry about is a clogged toilet while in the process of potty training. No fear, these wipes start to break down as soon as you flush making them both sewer and septic safe with the SafeFlush Technology®.
After I brought everything home, Leo was curious. I guess you can say he was intrigued by all of the new stuff bathroom stuff. Now it was time to get right down to business and potty train!
Getting a toddler curious about the potty is key and eventually, they will become more and more interested. Introducing “big boy” products Leo which to us is Contonelle has totally helped me adjust him to potty training and keeps him nice and clean.
Here are my tips for successfully potty training your little one in 3 days:
1. Wait Until They’re Ready: Typically the ages for potty training are between 2 and 3. Always attempt, and go off their reaction. If they are not ready, don’t force them. Just allow a day to pass and try again.
2. Talk About It: Always keep the conversation going when it comes to potty training. Mention the function and show them what to do. Make them aware of what is going on so that they are comfortable.
3. Understand The Signs: Children are clever. If you begin to notice that their diaper is dry after a long period of time, they are ready! Some kids will sometimes announce what they are doing, that is when you can direct them to the potty. Even if they don’t make it in time, its a start.
4. Let Them Be Free: Yep! If you have witnessed signs of your child being ready, just strip them down. Let them roam around the home free. Be sure to make sure you pick up your rugs to avoid any potty accident mess or damage. Allowing them to be without clothes is for them to recognize when they go or have to go without anything on.
5. Timer: This helped me so much. I started taking him to the potty every 15 minutes. After I noticed that he wouldn’t have to go, I would increase taking him every 30-45 minutes. By day two of potty training, when the timer went off, Leo would immediately run to the bathroom. By day three, he was going on his own without a timer. Of course, he would need assistance but the idea is to make sure that he was able to know when its time to use the potty.
6. Accidents Happen: Accidents will happen and it’s important that they understand this. You can always share ways to prevent accidents with them to make them aware.
Potty training can be a breeze with timing and the right products. Now, three years old, Leo is a champ! He is fully potty training and requires minimal assistance, meaning, he asks for help for number 2. Cottonelle® products help to have the Cottonelle® FreshCare Flushable Wipes and the Cottonelle® Ultra CleanCare® toilet paper make the perfect wet and dry combo for a superior clean potty session.
I hope my tips and product recommendations help you with your potty training journey. Believe me, it is not as hard as people make it seem. I believe in timing and having the right products such as Cottonelle® bath products, can help with your potty training regimen.